Date: Saturday, August 13
Time: 7:15 AM
Distances: 2 Mile Kayak, 20K Bike and 5K Run
Kayak Start: Point State Park – Allegheny Wharf
Kayak Exit: Point State Park – Allegheny Wharf
Transition: Point State Park
Finish Line: Point State Park
Click the map below to see the Point State Park event map.
The Adventure Race as part of the Pittsburgh Triathlon course showcases Pittsburgh’s beautiful bridges, rivers and trails and is centered around Point State Park located at the confluence of the Monongahela, Allegheny and Ohio rivers and is at the tip of Pittsburgh’s “Golden Triangle.”
The kayak portion of the event takes place in the Allegheny River and will start near the Ft. Duquesne Bridge. Kayaks will enter and exit the water on the Allegheny Wharf portion of Point State Park.
The bike route takes participants across the Roberto Clemente Bridge and past PNC Park to the HOV lane to the turnaround area at the Perrysville Park-n-Ride. Cyclists will ride one loop for the Adventure Race.
The run course is an out and back along the beautiful Three Rivers Heritage Trail. Athletes will run along the city-side of the trail.
Click the map below to review each leg of the course.
Course Time Limits
In order to adhere to city special events permit timelines, the race requires athletes to make continual forward progress. Each leg of the race will close at these specific times:
• Swim/Kayak course will close at 8:30 AM
• Bike course will close at 10:00 AM
• Run course will close at 11:00 AM on Saturday and 10:30 AM on Sunday
- Outside assistance by your own friends, family, etc. is allowed to assist the transportation of your kayak to and from the race start. Your assistant(s) may help you transport your kayak to race start, river exit, and back to designated area near transition area.
- Kayaks may be dropped off on Friday, August 12 from 6:00 – 8:00 PM and stored overnight on the Allegheny Wharf or race morning, Saturday, August 13 starting at 5:00 AM. We do not recommend storing your PFDs or oars overnight with your kayak.
- Arrive at the race venue at corner of Commonwealth Place and Liberty Avenue/Penn Avenue, stay with your vehicle at all times, and drop off your kayak at designated area near transition area coordinated by race staff/volunteers. This will be a temporary holding area while you park your vehicle.
- After parking your vehicle, bring your bike and other gear to venue and pick up your packet and timing chip.
- Volunteers will attach your assigned bib number to the bow of your boat. It is suggested you label your oars with your name. We can transport your kayak to the kayak starting area but we will not do so for any Epic or similar expensive/racing brand kayaks. Athletes with these kayaks should plan to take full responsibility for them unless assistance is specifically requested.
- Get yourself ready for your race and then report to your starting area where your kayak will be waiting for you.
- Event staff can assist with transporting kayaks back to the entrance to Point State Park after the kayak portion of the event is completed. Again, we will not transport any Epic or similar expensive/racing brand kayaks unless assistance is specifically requested.
- The kayak entry/exit area – we will utilize floating docks courtesy of the TRRA that are about 6-8’’ above surface of water. These docks will be tied to the bulkhead of the start/finish of the Adventure Race. We will utilize an in-water start and when you finish, paddle up to docks in a parallel format, ensure a volunteer or assistant(s) is there to hold your kayak, and exit your kayak and head towards transition area for your next segment of the race.
- When exiting the dock area, please be aware that you’re crossing over the run course and may need to yield to other athletes on the course as you head to transition.
Each individual must furnish their own kayaks or make their own arrangements for kayak rentals. P3R and/or Friends of the Riverfront will not be responsible and will not provide kayak rentals. The race fee does not cover the cost of rentals
If you rented a kayak, it will be already be onsite and ready for your use. Please check in with the kayak rental company representative when you arrive at the Allegheny Wharf area.